So you want to create your own website or blog. That’s great! Do you know? You can create your own website or blog with wordpress. But How? Here you’ll get easy and step-by-step insight to create your own website with WordPress.
Nowadays it’s become very easy and simple to create website. You’ll get everything you needed for free. Isn’t it great! Yes! As i told using wordpress, you can create your company websites, E-commerce websites, personal blogs and much more.
Then, What are the things you need, to create your own website?
Step 1: Get a Domain Name and Hosting
To create any website online, you’re going to need two things:
- A Domain Name: A web address like yourcompanyname.com, yourname.com
- Web Hosting: A service that puts your website live. Shared Hosting is enough for startups.
Domain name is an important thing of your website. It needs to be cache, unique, because that’s how people are going to find your website on the Internet. I recommend .com and .net mainly if you are looking for global customers/visitors. You can register your domain name in godaddy or bigrock. But you need to renew your domain annually. So check out who are going to give you best promotional offer and what’s the annual renewal amount. Sometimes they provide you domain in 99rs only but annual renewal amount will be high nearly 900rs. So you need to check it out before buying a domain name.
Website hosting : It stores all your website files and displays them to users. I recommend hostupon.com for web hosting. They offer unlimited bandwidth, emails, disk space and all. You can upload ‘n’ number of websites and get official email id’s for the same. You can go for other service providers as well but they should offer you 99.9% uptime guarantee. Your hosting account gets activated immediately after your registration which means you can start creating your website now :).
Step 2: Setup WordPress and Make your website live
Once you get domain name and hosting. Now you can start creating your website. 🙂 Nowadays almost all hosting provider will have a option for Softaculous Apps Installer which allows 1-click-installation for WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Magento, Prestashop and many more. Once you get cpanel details, login to your Cpanel and look for Softaculous Apps Installer in the bottom. Then click on WordPress to install. If you’re unable to locate it, search for wordpress icon under website option.
We have many options to create a website. Then why WordPress?
WordPress is a free, easy and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL. It offers many free templates, plugins and many other features. You can use wordpress to create a beautiful website or blog. You don’t need any coding knowledge to design beautiful sites with many functions.
How to Install wordpress?
- Click the “WordPress” Icon
- Click the “Install Now” button
- Now, You need to fill some basic information like website URL, name, description and site language.
- Then select admin username and password.
- Select a basic theme here, don’t worry about designs or templates right away.
- Click Install
Congratulations! 🙂 Now you have successfully installed wordpress. Your website is on air.
It’s not yet done completely.. Now you need to do better design and website SEO friendly.
Let’s start to create your own website
Step 3: Make your website lovely and SEO friendly
Once you have successfully installed WordPress to your domain, you’ll see a very basic site. Now you need a theme – a design template that tells about your website or blog. You can get thousands of awesome, professionally designed themes for free. You can choose them and customize the site however you want, that’s all your own.
How to find a theme and how to do customization
- Log into your WordPress dashboard
- In left side bar, you’ll find Appearance > Themes. Click on Themes
- Access all free themes. If you are looking for website design for your business, you can search like creative, colorful, beautiful, agency like that. It’ll show you thousands of free themes. If you are looking for blog, no need to worry, any design you can pick that you like.
- Install and activate the theme
- Click on customize button that will allows you to change color, logo, background image and many more.
Step 4: How to design Business/Organization Website
How to create new pages like home, about us, contact us?
- Look left sidebar in your Dashboard for Pages > Add New
- Once you’ve clicked, you’ll find a screen to enter text, images and more to build the page you want, then save it when you’re done. It’s just like Microsoft Word.
- If you wish to edit any of the pages. Go to Pages > All Pages > Select Page to edit
How to add pages to the menu?
If you want your new pages to be linked to your site’s navigation bar,
- Click Appearance > Menus in the sidebar
- Find the page you created and add it to the list by clicking the checkbox next to it and then click Add to Menu.
Setting Up a Static Front Page
You can make your home page static page just like normal website
To set up a static front page:
1. Go to Settings > Reading
2. Choose a static page that you have created. “Front Page” denotes your home page, “Posts page” is the front page of your blog (if your entire site isn’t a blog).
Note: If you don’t choose a static page on your own, WordPress will show your latest posts on your homepage.
Disabling Comments for Business/Organisation Websites
Some websites like business/organisation, don’t want comment option because it should look like website not like blog.
Want to disable comments on every new page by default?
1. Go to Settings > Discussion and uncheck “Allow people to post comments on new articles”
Step 5: How to design website for blog?
Follow Step 4 to add new pages and navigation menu.
Setting up categories for posts:
If you want to add a blog to your website, you can use different categories and posts. Let’s say you want to create a category named “Designs”. Create a new category by going to Posts > Categories.
Adding new posts:
To create a blog post by going to Posts > Add New. Once you’ve finished writing your post, you’ll find categories in right side of your post, select particular category and publish your post.
Disabling Comments for Pages
Follow these steps if you want to disable comment option for pages.
- While creating new page, click Screen Options in the top right corner.
- Click the Discussion box. The “Allow Comments” box will appear at the bottom.
- Uncheck Allow Comments.
Step 6: Installing Plugins to add more functionality to your website
Plugins are extensions that are built to adding more features and functions to your site that don’t come built-in. Like Contact Form, Analytics, SEO, Social Sharing and lot more. You’ll find lakhs of plugins for free and to make your site more functionality.
How to install Plugins?
- To start installing plugins, go to Plugins > Add New
- Search the plugin you want and check the plugin compatibility for your wordpress
- Click the Install button. Installation is easy but it’ll not work right away, you need to activate it to make it work
- To activate the plugin: go to Plugins > Installed Plugins. Click the Activate button next to the name of the plugin
Step 7: Congratulations! Spread the words that your website is on air.
Now you’re ready to launch your website, Go on and Spread your words to everyone and everywhere. Be proud! You just created your own website.
Hope you enjoyed our post. Spread a word about us like, share, comment or give us rating, do anything you love. 🙂 Still have Questions? or Any Suggestions..!! You can discuss with us. We’re happy to hear something from you.